Web Interface was written in J# and Microsoft announced end of life for J# by June 2015 . As the result StoreFront has been developed from scratch using more flexible and powerful framework than Web Interface that enables StoreFront to provide next generation features, such as:
- Unified StoreFront for XenApp and XenDesktop resources that can also deliver SaaS & Native Mobile applications i.e., through App Controller.
- Simplified Account Provisioning – which enables users to connect to assigned desktops and applications by simply entering their email or server address, or by opening a Provisioning File in Receiver
- Access from any Receiver with a consistent user experience.
- Synchronization of resource subscriptions across all platforms and devices.
- Cross-farm aggregation and de-duplication, that aggregates and delivers a unique set of applications from multiple farms across different sites
- Farm-Based Optimal HDX Connection Routing, which enables the use of the nearest NetScaler Gateway for HDX traffic routing independent of the NetScaler Gateway used for initial authentication
From XenApp 6.5 we have the feature of anonymous user access to XenApp sites and StoreFront v 2.5 supports users to log into Citrix Receiver without Active Directory user credentials, but rely on a combination of network security and authentication within the application itself. In simple, it allows unauthenticated users accessing application instead of AD accounts.
When an unauthenticated resource is launched, XenApp uses a pool of local user accounts to host the user’s session. The session has a default idle timer of 10 minutes, and session reconnection and roaming are not allowed. One the session logs off, the user account is returned to the pool to be used by another connection.
Configuring unauthenticated access requires two steps:
- Creating a StoreFront store for unauthenticated users
- Publishing unauthenticated apps and desktops in XenApp
Creating an unauthenticated site is simple. In top of the “Stores” tab, click the “Create Store for Unauthenticated Users” and follow the wizard to create a new store.
Then configure Receiver to use the anonymous store, or simply access XenApp Web URL. The users are directly taken to the list of apps, skipping the logon screen and the list of all available resources is shown automatically and also there is no concept of subscribing to apps.